The term “highway” is mentioned 23 times in the Bible. In my study I have come up with six spiritual meanings. Most of this material is pointing to the future millennial kingdom, though parts of it may be history. According to the verses referenced here Highway means…
1. The way that God has prepared for the Jewish remnant returning to Israel (Isa. 11:16; 49:11-12). God Himself will prepare the way for His people who are scattered from the ends of the earth, to be saved and to return to His holy land. He will build for them a highway—that is, He will part the seas, lower the mountains and raise the valleys to aid them in returning to Him.
2. The way God prepares for the Jewish remnant in returning to Him through others (Isa. 62:10-12; 57:14). All the world of believers are called to aid the returning of the Jews to their land and to the Lord. We all are to build up the highway—make it smooth and accessible—in order that they may return without any hindrances.
3. A holy highway, for a holy people, traveling to a holy city and to a holy God (Isa. 35:8). The highway in this passage is called the Highway of Holiness because it is the way to the holy city, where Christ dwells in His holy temple. Only believers will desire to go on this road. All others will stay away.
4. A highway of peace between nations (Isa. 19:23-25). The highway referred to here could be a literal road connecting Egypt to Assyria (now Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran); and it would go through Israel. This is a highway of peace, which Israel will build between warring nations. In that day Israel will be a blessing to the world and will draw nations together in peace and to salvation. What a wonderful day that will be!
5. A highway for Jesus (Isa. 40:3-4). This highway is the way in which Jesus came (and still comes) to us and brings salvation. The Jews were given the call to make this highway. John the Baptist was especially called to build this highway. But each of us can make this highway ourselves—by preparing our hearts for Him to come to us.
6. A highway to the Father (John 14:6). Jesus is the highway to God the Father. There is no other way to get to the Father and to heaven except through Jesus. He is the highway through which we must travel.