What are the main issues surrounding the Orlando massacre on June 12, 2016?
There are three issues that our government leaders seem to suggest are the main issues: (1) whether the shooter was affiliated with any particular terrorist group; (2) whether he purposely targeted the gay night club, and why; and (3) does this suggest that authorities should have more control over who can buy a gun.
These issues are interesting and may be temporarily important. But there are far more important issues at stake in regard to this massacre, especially for a Christian and for those interested in what God has to say to us.
6 MAIN ISSUES REGARDING THE ORLANDO MASSACRE
1. What is the root cause of the massacre? The root cause of the massacre was due to sin and the chief of sinners—the devil. The shooter, on that horrible Sunday morning, was clearly blinded in his mind to the truth—blinded by the god of this world (2 Cor. 4:4). He has no doubt been a victim of this blinding deception all of his troubled life. The blame goes not only on him but on his parents and on a false religion—Islam. Many are to blame.
2. Should we have known that this was coming? I think it is important to be reminded that what we are calling terrorism and hate have already been prophesied in the bible. This is a main issue because it gives us a perspective on what is happening; it assures us that we aren’t going crazy, that we have an inside track (with the Spirit of God) on what is going on in the world. Here are two references that will apply to the Orlando massacre:
“And at that time many will fall away and will deliver up one another and hate one another. 11 “And many false prophets will arise, and will mislead many. 12 “And because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. (NASB)
2 Timothy 3:1-3
But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. 2 For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good. (NASB)
3. Are we coming close to the end of the world? The Orlando shooting should convince us that the days we are now living in are the last days. As Paul writes in 2 Timothy 3:1, “But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come.” This is important to us, and is a main issue, because it tells us that He is coming soon as He promised He would.
4. Will there will be more shootings like this? Yes, there is more terrorism to come and there is nothing we can do to stop it. If these are indeed the last days, 2 Timothy 3:1 promises us that “difficult times will come.” “Difficult times” does not mean just a few times, but it will be continuous times of difficulty.
Why is this knowledge important for us to know? Well, I think it helps us to be prepared for what’s to come. And it gives us a true perspective of how things are in the world.
5. How big of an issue are the murders? The big issue here is the fact that God was against what the shooter did because every person, no matter who they are, is loved by Him and deserves a chance to be saved. The Orlando shooter took that opportunity away from 49 souls. And that is a huge issue!
6. Will we ever be safe? God has told us that if we desire to live godly lives we will be persecuted. However, just as the Lord delivered Paul out of all his persecutions (2 Tim. 3:11), He will also deliver us. Now we may suffer some pain, but it will not last long. Our pain will be so short compared to our eternal joy and comfort in heaven! If we could only get a firm grasp on this truth, it will give us great hope and courage going forward.