Sometime after the rapture of the Church Christ will come to this earth. When will He come? and What is the Purpose of His coming?
THE TIME OF HIS COMING
1. He will come after the Tribulation and sometime during the battle of Armageddon (Zech. 14:2-3; Matt. 24:29-30). In Matthew’s gospel, it is stated clearly that immediately after the tribulation of those days, Jesus will appear in the sky, and He will come to us on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. What a sight that will be! Also, we read from Zechariah 14 that He will come at a time when all the nations of the earth have come to battle against Israel.
2. Earth dwellers should know the approximate time of His coming, but not the day or the hour (Zech. 14:2-3; Matt. 24:15-21, 29-30; 2 Thess. 2:2-3; Rev. 13:4-5; Matt. 24:42; 25:13). Though unbelievers will be blinded as to the time of His coming, believers should know the approximate time of His coming, for as we have just pointed out (in point one), He will come after the Tribulation and at the end of Armageddon. They should also know, from 2 Thessalonians 2:2-3, that He will come after the apostasy and after the man of lawlessness (the Antichrist) is revealed. And if they have been careful to study the prophetical scriptures (in Matt. 24:15-21 and in Rev. 13:4-5), they should know that he will be revealed at the midpoint of the Tribulation—so anyone should be able to calculate when the end of the Tribulation will occur and thus when He will come.
However, the bible tells us (in Matthew 24:42 and in 25:13) that no one knows the day or the hour of His coming. So apparently, either they won’t be able to tell exactly when the Tribulation will begin or end, or perhaps He will not come on the very day that the Tribulation will end.
THE PURPOSE OF HIS COMING
1. He will come to gather the elect from the four winds (Matt. 24:31; Jn. 5:25-29). On the day of Christ’s coming He will send His angels out to gather all believers from wherever they are. All the Old Testament saints and the Tribulation martyrs will be in their graves; that is, their bodies will be in their graves and their spirits will be with God. So when they are gathered, this would involve their resurrection and glorification. The church I think will also be gathered, but they will already be in their glorified bodies. Thus when the gathering process is completed all the elect will have glorified bodies and will be together with Jesus—ready to follow Him into His kingdom on white horses.
2. He will come with the grand purpose of establishing His kingdom (Dan. 7:14; Zech. 14:8-11). When our Lord comes in the clouds, He will first be led into the presence of the “Ancient One” (His Father), and there He will be given “authority, honor, and royal power over all the nations of the world” (Dan. 7:13, 14, NLT). Thus He will be king over all the earth, and He will do many things to establish His kingdom and to make the earth a wonderful place to live.
3. He will come with fire in His eyes, to judge and make war against all unbelievers. He will gather all nations to a place called Armageddon to do battle, and then He will go out and fight against them (Zech. 14:2-3). He will send His angels out to take unbelievers away to judgment (Matt. 24:40-41), and also to execute them (Jude 14-15). He Himself will judge each of them according to their deeds; that is, to see if their deeds reveal that they are believers (Matt. 16:27). And He will execute many by the sword of His mouth (I think this means that He will kill them just by speaking; Rev. 19:21).
4. He will separate the believers from the unbelievers and judge them accordingly (Matt. 25:31-46). When the Son of Man comes in His glory, He will gather all the living people on the earth together before Him on His throne. I am not certain when this event takes place, but it seems logical that it will transpire immediately after His judgment of all those who have come to do battle at Armageddon; thus after all those unbelievers that have come to do battle are executed by His angels and also are slain by the sword of His mouth, then all others everywhere in the world will be gathered for this separation and judgment.
And He will put the sheep (believers) on His right, and the goats (unbelievers) on His left. And he will protect the sheep and invite them into his kingdom. But the goats will not be protected from His judgment. They will be executed that day, and 1000 years later, after the millennial kingdom, they will be resurrected, only to be judged again and cast into the lake of fire with the devil and his angels (Rev. 20:11-15).