In Ephesians 6:18 it says,
With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit….
Also in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 it says,
Rejoice always; 17 pray without ceasing; 18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
I know, sometimes it’s really hard to have this kind of an attitude and to be always in the Spirit. That’s why I want to give you a few ideas that will help. Here are 6 things we can do to keep us in the Spirit and consequently prepared for Christ’s coming.
- Memorize verses. I find that it helps me a great deal to be periodically looking at a verse of Scripture during the day and doing what I can to memorize it: to repeat it over and over, and to think about what it means and what it means to me—until I have it memorized.
- Meditate on Scripture. Meditation on Scripture helps to keep the mind focused on God and His will, for the Scriptures are the very words of God to us. But in meditation we must be careful to meditate with the intent on being obedient. That I think is the entire purpose of meditation. Joshua 1:8 tells us to meditate on the word “so that” we may be careful to do according to all that is written in it.
- Listen to Christian Radio. If you get the opportunity to listen to Christian talk or Christian music, sometimes this will really help to set the pace of your day.
- Think about a blog idea and take notes. During your work day, if you are a blogger and you get an idea for a blog, write down your ideas on a note card. Then pray over each point. This will help you pass the time and will fill your mind with good thoughts.
- Think about good deeds you can do. There are so many things to think about during the day. Some of your thoughts may not to very profitable. How about replacing some of your bad or negative thoughts with good and loving thoughts. Think about a good thing you can do for someone.
- Think about encouraging words you can say to someone. Maybe you have never taken the time to think about and plan encouraging things to say to someone. Maybe it’s your practice to just say whatever you feel. Well, if your words aren’t always encouraging maybe it would be helpful to spend a few minutes thinking about what to say. You could also write it out. Writing on a post card or letter is kind of a lost art these days. Well maybe you can bring it back to life. Letters are always encouraging to me. I love to get an encouraging card or letter from a friend.